Monday, February 12, 2007

The Moving Finger Writes

Just a quick check-in post for my loyal readers (thank you, dear ones!) to say that all's going... er... well... it's going.

That quotation from Under the Tuscan Sun comes to mind:
Q: How's the novel going?

A: Not so well. But the procrastination is coming along fabulously. Soon it will breed abject self-loathing, and then I'll just become a writing machine.

I am TWO scenes away from finishing. TWO!! (Normally the editor in me is apalled by multiple quotation marks, but that one deserved an extra.) I've surpassed 80,000 words. Which is a good thing, really, if you think about it, because once my editor has me cut all the best sentences bad parts out, it will be the right length.

As it happens, I have been smiled upon and my otherwise busy week has been reduced to lots and lots of writing time. So it is my goal, my stated public goal, that I will FINISH THE BOOK THIS WEEK. And then I can get on with the rest of my life.

By the way, I have had just an awesome time writing Arik's character. More than I thought I would, though he's had me doing hours upon hours of research so I can get his dialog right. Back when I was learning Hebrew daily, hours a day, I got to the point where I was dreaming in Hebrew. And then two years of other schooling followed closely by the birth of two children and now my six-year-old knows more Hebrew than I do. It's shameful, I tell you. The next local ulpan that offers child care and costs less than $100, I'll be the first to sign up.

Anyway, back to Arik. I have decided (or he has decided for me), that there's a good chance part of Book 3 will be told from his point of view (POV). That stresses me out a bit for all sorts of reasons. Aside from the Hebrew barrier, and the fact that I didn't grow up in Israel, and the whole cultural piece he carries with him, it also means I get to learn about gun safety, how to tell if it's safe, how to make it safe if it isn't, how to fire one. Husby has said when the time is right, he can get me lesson(s) through a university or reputable gun dealer. I was actually thinking about asking Minneapolis Police for their recommendation, as well as a ride-along. After Book 2 comes out and they love it, of course!

For now, the goal is just to finish and get the manuscript to my editor. Enough procrastination. Bring on the coffee and let's get to work!

3 comments:

mother in israel said...

What happened to my comment? I offered to look over the Hebrew parts and edit them for accuracy. No charge. I hated Cross Bones for that reason--not only was the Hebrew bad, Reichs had one Orthodox character at the butcher while the other one was in the synagogue with the kids on a Friday afternoon. And she repeatedly used the word "Davidid" instead of Davidic.

Sheyna said...

Sorry, I never saw your comment! I heard blogger was having problems, not publishing anything for a while. But I may take you up on that. Thank you!

I have someone editing Arik's Hebrew in Days but if she's unable to finish, I may send it your way.

The part for Book 3 would be the one I'd need the most accurate help for. And you'd get a free copy of the book (plus mention in the acknowledgements if desired).

mother in israel said...

I think I'm just bad at reading the word verification. Anyway, send it my way when it's ready.