Monday, July 31, 2006

When Speech Leaves Me Speechless (in a good way)

Thanks to Harassed Mommy for this link:

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=null

This is a part of a larger discussion (?) featuring Arab-American psychologist Wafa Sultan, who is impressive to watch (and listen to). I'm not sure that I agree with all of it, but I love the her statement, "Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you don't throw them at me. You are free to worship whoever you want, but other people's beliefs are not your concern."

She identifies herself as a secular human being, not Jewish, Christian, or Muslim. But she has some awesome things to say about Jews, and some common sense things to say about terrorism in the name of Islam.

In these last few days before Tisha b'Av, I ponder again why we Jews can't also believe in our own stones [interpretations of Halacha] without throwing them at each other?

No comments: