Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Fifteen Years and Going Strong

Tomorrow, Husby and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. We've been together as a couple for 20 years now, and no, we're not that old!

We met in the last months of high school; in fact, we met because I went to the Senior Prom with Husby's best friend. We started dating soon after, dated for a year before getting engaged, and then had a 4-year-long engagement.

I highly recommend this, by the way. We wanted to make a commitment to each other, to know that marriage was our goal, but neither of us were really emotionally or financially ready for marriage. We figured that it's far easier to break an engagement than get a divorce should the relationship, G-d forbid, not work out. In the interim, we both finished college, lived on our own, and got full-time jobs.

Now it's 15 years later and we're still going strong. Still acting like newlyweds in some ways, yet with the maturity and experience of the dreaded "old married couple." It's a very nice mix.

And most importantly, I recognize how incredily blessed I am to have Husby in my life. Not only does he put the toilet seat down and help around the house, he's great with the kids, he cooks (he's awesome in the kitchen!) and cleans and does laundry, he rubs my feet and likes to paint my toenails, and in just so many ways is my best friend. I couldn't have asked for better.

And now back to work...

7 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Mazal tov.

Ezzie said...

Mazel Tov!!

Sheyna said...

Jack and Ezzie: Thank you!

i.oana: I'm glad you like my blog. Please feel free to return and read more. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mazal Tov!!

Sheyna said...

Thanks, EK!

cruisin-mom said...

Hi Sheyna, sorry I'm late...but congrats on 20...we just hit 21, but I know I'm alot older!!!

cruisin-mom said...

ooops...it's 15, not 20!