Monday, January 15, 2007

Because Jack Asked For It

Jack had a great suggestion in his comment to the previous post. And since I'm so tired tonight that I'm punchy and my writing is verging on the melodramatic, I thought it'd be fun.

So... remember Mad Libs? (I'm dating myself probably.) The idea is this: I've taken the opening scene from As in Days of Old, and have removed key words and phrases. I'm now asking you - the blogging public - to fill in the blanks, so to speak, and we'll see what happens. I'll post the "modified" opening scenes with each blogger's suggestions in a future post. I can post the "original" too, if you want.

Clarification: I'm asking each reader to supply all 20 of the below-listed words/phrases. If three people participate, I'll post three separate and distinct modified opening scenes.

Here we go. I need, in the following order:

  1. A name, first and last
  2. noun, plural
  3. noun, singular
  4. city name (any city, any size)
  5. architectural style of house
  6. body part, plural (keep it clean, folks!)
  7. month name
  8. weather condition (temperature, precipitation or lack thereof, etc.)
  9. room in a house
  10. piece of furniture
  11. noun, plural
  12. noun, plural
  13. noun, plural
  14. noun, singular
  15. verb, past tense
  16. verb, past tense
  17. noun, plural
  18. adverb
  19. noun, singular
  20. room in a house

Please leave your suggestions in the comments. This should be fun and I look forward to your entries!

And stay tuned, because I'm hoping y'alls will help me out later this year with choosing a cover design and some other neat stuff. I may be asking for help naming a character, or I may have a contest to have a character named after you (the name of your choosing), with a free book as thanks once it's published.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

4. Walla Walla, Washington

Sheyna said...

Can you do all 20? Then I can post one opening scene with your suggestions, another version with someone else's 20 suggestions, etc.

Jack Steiner said...

1. A name, first and last- Martin Samuels
2. noun, plural Chairs
3. noun, singular- table
4. city name (any city, any size) Columbys
5. architectural style of house- Tudor
6. body part, plural (keep it clean, folks!) Fingers
7. month name- May
8. weather condition (temperature, precipitation or lack thereof, etc.) Hot
9. room in a house- Den
10. piece of furniture- Couch
11. noun, plural- bottles
12. noun, plural- cans
13. noun, plural- shoes
14. noun, singular- foot
15. verb, past tense- ran
16. verb, past tense- jumped
17. noun, plural- cups
18. adverb- swimmingly
19. noun, singular- dresser
20. room in a house- bedroom

Anonymous said...

That would require a lot of imagination, which I'm lacking.

1. A name, first and last Alfonso Grynbyrg
2. noun, plural kumquats
3. noun, singular abacus
4. city name (any city, any size) W.W., WA
5. architectural style of house Colonial
6. body part, plural (keep it clean, folks!) elbow
7. month name June
8. weather condition (temperature, precipitation or lack thereof, etc.) sweltering
9. room in a house kitchen
10. piece of furniture chair
11. noun, plural drums
12. noun, plural windows
13. noun, plural hole punchers
14. noun, singular crayon
15. verb, past tense dragged
16. verb, past tense bolted
17. noun, plural rings
18. adverb creatively
19. noun, singular test tubes
20. room in a house bathroom